Monday, March 10, 2008

My Ummah, pt.2

Just to clarify a bit on my last post. I am not against the dawah, I still consider myself salafi, I am not against scholars or scholarship. But I just don't understand a few points:
  1. Where are our communities? If there are viable, working productive communities out there please a comment, because I'm sure most of us want and need to know where they are.
  2. Why did the Prophet (saw) refuse to name or attack the hypocrites who existed amongst the companions? "I would not want my enemies to say, Muhammad kills his own followers." The personal attacks and slander campaigns of muslims who were trying to spread the dawah has done nothing but kill our unity and destroy our effectiveness as a dawah, has it not?
  3. If I have to fight everyday to wear hijab, pray in public and homeschool my kids, why did we not all fight collectively to keep our communities together. People sacrificed so much to build these centers and masjids, weren't they worth fighting for?

On a communal scale as well as a global one, we have let each other down. We have shown that all we can do as an ummah is hide our heads in the sand. I seriously do not see what good came from it all. Do you?

3 comments:

KiKi said...

"...enjoining what is right, forbidding what is wrong..."

What are we commanded when we see our brother/sister in the wrong? Hold them back from the wrong.

At large, we don't enjoin what is right or forbid what is wrong - nor do we hold each other back from the wrong.

And so the rot begins within, spreads, and slowly the ummah deteriorates.

Khair Insha'allah! said...

Sometimes this is taken overboard. People admonish each other and separate themselves from each other as if we are meant to be perfect. People are having a hard time seeing each other as human and impose very stringent expectations on each other. For example, a sister has stopped wearing hijab for whatever reasons. Instead of encouraging, helping and strengthening the sister, she is boycotted which puses her further away from the deen. I wish I knew the solution, Allah help us all...

Mumina said...

Asalaam alaikum,

I hope you don't mind me coming over and commenting.

I too ask myself of late, where is this tight, reliable ummah that seems to be here where I live every time I attend Friday Jummah? The Imam preaches about unity. We have social events and stuff and it seems as though people are forming bonds during those times. But on an every day level, my ummah is just like everyone else - keeping to themselves, turning an eye to problems that have nothing to do with them. I am currently seeking to make acquaintances with sisters who live in different parts of the country in an effort to find a strong Islamic community to go to, where the people have true brotherhood - I feel like that is the biggest void in my own life now, and inshaAllah I want my children to grow up with a good Islamic environment.