Friday, March 7, 2008

Say Something Good or Shut Up!!!



Bismillah,


Me and the teen queen (my oldest daughter) went to Walmart together the other day. I was there to pick up some much need items (ice cream) and see if I could get her glasses fixed at the optical center there. After an extra long wait, I start to feel like maybe I'm waiting extra long on purpose. So I'm getting an attitude of course. But I wait patiently. There is a man looking at glasses on the other side of the room, he comes over and places a pair of frames on the counter and stands there to wait. Miraculously, a clerk comes out and *pretends* to be doing something at the desk where we are all standing.


Me: "Excuse me. Does someone normally work at this desk?"

Nasty Clerk Lady: "Yes. But we are all busy with other customers right now. Someone will be with you in a moment."

She then motions to one the other clerks to wait on the other guy with the frames. EXCUSE ME!! Now impatience is turning into fumes and fumes into flames. I was here first!! Keep it calm. Don't start any fitnah.

Nasty Clerk Lady (returning): "How can I help you?"

Me: "My daughter broke her glasses, do you do repairs here?"

Nasty Clerk Lady (taking the glasses and looking them over with a very weird smile on her face): "Yes we fix them but we're not responsible if they break."

Me: "Okay, about how much do you normally charge." Now we're getting somewhere.

Nasty Clerk Lady: "Oh no charge. But we're not responsible if they break."

Me: "Great. Do they look fixable?"

Nasty Clerk Lady: "Maybe. But we're not responsible if they break. You know we're not responsible if they break. If they break while we are attempting to fix them, we're not responsible."

Me: "Lady, they're already broke."

Nasty Clerk Lady: "Yes. But if they break we are not responsible." WHAT!!!!!

So it dawns on me that she doesn't WANT to fix them. Oh, ok! I take my daughters glasses back and we turn to leave the store. I am so upset by this time. I can't believe she made us wait, took someone ahead of us and basically refused to help us. Now, I am human. And unfortunately for me I was not born muslim. I mean I only took my shahadah what 15 years ago. All sorts of derogatory statements fell from my lips as we walked from the store to the car. Pregnant animal of the bovine variety, disbeliever endowed with a strong and unpleasant smell (this post has been edited for censored content...see title) unclean, disagreeable (I can't think of any more replacement comments for what I really said sorry).

The Teen Queen says "Ummie, that's not nice. You're not supposed to say things like that."

Me: "Why not? She's just a kafirah. Did you see how nasty she was being to us? I should have said it to her face."

Teen Queen: "No, Ummie that's not right. You shouldn't say those things." How dare she take up for her. I mean she wronged us. I have a right to vent my frustrations right?

So we get home and I break out the book Riyadhus Saliheen by Imam An-Nawawi. This book is excellent for daily study. It covers so many vital points in the life, worship and character of the muslim. Each chapter starts with verses of the Quran and then gives the statements of the Prophet Muhammad on the particular subject. I want proof for my position that you can say whatever you want to a kafir. But what I found was this:


  • 50:18 "Not a word does he (or she) utter, but there is a watcher by him ready (to record it)."


  • #1511 "Narrated Abu Hurairah (radi'Allahu anhu) Allah's messenger said "He who believes in Allah and the last day must either speak good or remain silent." (muslim)


  • #1520 "Narrated 'Uqbah bin Amir (radi"Allahu anhu) I asked Allah's messenger "How can salvation be achieved?" He replied " Control your tongue, keep to your house, and weep for your sins." (at-tirmidhi)


  • #1734 "Narrated Ibn Masud (radi' Allahu anhu) Allahs messenger said: "A true believer does not taunt or curse or abuse or talk indecently." (at-tirmidhi)

Well how you like that. So I sat the kids down and gave them a short talk on the blessings of controlling the tongue and made a mental note to thank Allah for blessing me with such astute kids that do not hesitate to correct me and remind me of his pleasure.

1 comment:

KiKi said...

We are human, so we err.
We err, for we are human.

And then we repent.

Allahu alim. Huwa Al-Ghafur.